Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Two Cent Tuesday; Over the Line

 Over the Line...

I'm don't follow conspiracy theories. I'm not anti-government, nor do I think they are trying to control people. I rarely feel that my liberties or rights are being taken away. I don't get worked up very often. The only reason I would ever consider home school is because it might mean that I can sleep in later.

However, recent things have made me change my mind a bit...

I went to my daughter's school open house about a month ago, which was a waste of my time for multiple reasons. But I did learn something that ticked me off more than a little....

In the presentation that the principle gave, the parents were told that if anyone wanted to take their children on an extended vacation, they would need to clear it with the principal FIRST. As in, you have to ask some guy you barely know if you can do something with your children. As in, you need permission to make decisions for YOUR child. Wow. I am an adult. I gave birth to my children and then got up with them every single night for what seemed like decades. I potty trained and I dealt with all the meltdowns and moments in which I thought I might committ child abuse if it lasted any longer. I raised my daughter and raised her pretty well so far and now I need permission from a man who doesn't even know my daughter's name if I can do something with her? The only person I need permission from is....well no one. She's mine. I do well.

I smirked and looked at husband, "What happens if we don't ask first or just go if he says no?"

I dont have any intentions of taking my daughter on any extended vacations so though this irritated me immensely, I didn't dwell on it too long. It doesn't affect me...at least as my plans are right now. We don't even have the money to take a one day vacation, let alone an extended one. So for me, right now, no harm no foul even though I think it's BS.

But then, something else did affect me directly. My daughter went to her dad's this weekend. He doesn't live too far away, but it's an all day affair meeting halfway and coming back home. Instead of taking her there Friday, letting her spend one day, and then getting her back Sunday, we decided that it would probably be okay to miss Monday. If there were any long vacations anytime soon, I would have waited but there weren't. She would have to wait until late November. I dont like missing school, but her dad is kind of important and considering she is in KINDERGARTEN, we thought the rare occasion would be okay.

I meant to send a note with her on Friday letting the school know, but I forgot. Friday was a crazy day. So maybe I dropped the ball there. Years ago, if you were absent, they might have called home to inform your parents but usually they just waited until you came back and brought a note. I actually called my gram and asked what she did when I was home sick or something. "I just sent a note to school the day you went back. I never called or sent a note before hand." Okay, so no worries right? I'll just send a note Tuesday. Wrong.

The school called Monday morning. I saw the number on caller ID and expected them to say that she was absent and it would be unexcused until I sent a note. INSTEAD, the office lady says, "This is *insert office lady's name* and I was calling to see WHY Savannah is not here."

EXCUSE ME?!!!! It isn't your business why she isn't there for ONE DAY. I can understand if it had been a week. I can understand asking if it was excused or not. I can understand if she had worded it just a little bit, but she just straight up asked WHY...as if I need to answer to her....as if I'm a little kid....as if she is the one in charge of MY daughter. I know she was doing her job so I'm not irritated at her personally. I also understand that there are probably reasons why the schools became like this, but that's not my problem. I am a good mom. I take school seriously. In the end, one day here and there will NEVER break anything. I missed 60% of my senior year and graduated in the tenth percent....not that I'm advocating that or anything. I lived on my own and frankly was not a very good parent to myself. Cest la vie.

My husband thinks I'm making a big deal of nothing, which is extremely weird because he is the conspiracy theory lover, anti-government, believer that we're losing our rights, etc. He is the one who makes big deals of things I think are silly. So maybe I am making a big deal of nothing, but it's the point to me. It's the point that I have worked very hard and done a very good job of raising my kids and now I feel like a babysitter who has to ask the school's permission and answer to them about my decisions. My daughter has officially been in school for a month and already I have two examples of feeling like my parenting decisions are not my decisions anymore. I need to ask if it's okay to take my daughter on vacation and I need to answer to someone who doesn't know my daughter why she isn't at school.

I just think this goes over the line and for the first time in my life, the thought of home school doesn't seem sooooo far out now. If things get worse and I feel like I am not in control anymore, it just might happen. I am the parent. I make decisions. I shouldnt get treated like a shit mom until the day I become a shit mom. Until then, I should get treated like a mature and responsible mom who makes good decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and involvement in PWM. However, please know that any rude, or spam type comments will be immediately deleted.